The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has gifted a unique 16-digit virtual identity (VID) number to all residents. Now people will not have to disclose their 12 digit biometric identification number / Aadhaar number anywhere. They can only generate / retrieve VIDs on the UIDAI portal and use it anywhere. The virtual ID will replace the Aadhaar number for authentication and KYC purposes. This UIDAI Aadhaar service will ensure the privacy and security of the Aadhaar database.
The 16-digit virtual ID serves as a security layer in the Aadhaar database and will address people’s privacy concerns. People can use this Aadhaar service as a replacement for Biometric ID in new SIM purchase, SIM replacement, banking facilities, passport etc. The 16-digit VID is revocable and expires after a limited time period. VID Virtual ID limits the storage and collection of personal and demographic data of all Aadhaar holders.
How to generate a 16 digit virtual ID number
The complete procedure to generate / retrieve the virtual ID is given below:
Phase 1: First of all, visit the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India uidai.gov.in
step 2: On the homepage, scroll “My base “ Section and then click “Virtual ID (VID) Generator“Link under”Basic services“Sub Vol.
step 3: direct link – All the candidates can directly click on the link to generate / retrieve the Virtual ID (VID) – https://resident.uidai.gov.in/vid-generation
step 4: The UIDAI Virtual ID (VID) Generate / Retrieve page will appear as follows: –
Step 5: Here the candidates “Aadhaar Number“And”Security codeClick “and then”Send OTPButton to get an OTP on the registered mobile number.
Central Government Schemes 2021Popular Schemes in the Centre:Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana 2021PM Housing Scheme Rural (PMAY-G) Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
Step 6: Then candidates can enter their one time password (OTP) and then click “Generate vid“or”Get vidClick “more”Presented“Button.
Step 7: Finally, the generated 16 digit VID will be sent to the resident’s registered mobile number.
A virtual ID is a temporary 16-digit random number that gives limited information such as name, photo and address to other authorized agencies.
UIDAI Virtual ID (VID) – Aadhaar Card / Database Privacy and Security
To address privacy concerns, UIDAI has introduced a new concept of virtual IDs for Aadhaar users. After this, Aadhaar holders can now generate this 16 digit random number from UIDAI website. Accordingly, the virtual ID will replace the Aadhaar number for authentication and KYC purposes. This virtual ID will act as a security layer for the base database.
Now people can use this 16 digit virtual ID for various purposes including SIM verification. Now people can use it as a replacement to share their 12 digit biometric ID (Aadhaar number). Accordingly, it will give people an alternative option of not sharing their Aadhaar number.
UIDAI has introduced this concept to ensure the confidentiality and security of the Aadhaar database. In addition, the move will also limit the collection and storage of personal and demographic data of Aadhaar card holders.
UIDAI Virtual ID Description
The important features and salient features of this new system are as follows:-
- A virtual ID is a temporary 16-digit random number. This virtual ID will only give limited information such as name, address and photograph to other authorized agencies such as mobile companies.
- There is no limit to creating a virtual ID. An individual can generate any number of such IDs.
- Also after creating a new ID, the previous ID is automatically canceled.
- central government. Acceptance of Virtual ID is going to be mandatory from 1st June 2018 for all agencies using Aadhaar card for authentication.
- This revocable 16 digit number will be mapped to the Aadhaar number of the person. Accordingly, the Aadhaar issuing body will start accepting these numbers from 1 March 2018.
- People can use this number as an alternative to authentication and KYC services.
- After this, this number will remain valid for a specified time or until the user changes it.
- Candidates can generate this ID themselves. However, no other agency is allowed to generate this ID on behalf of the Aadhaar holder.
- UIDAI has also initiated a “limited KYC” process. In this, UIDAI will provide a limited amount of information about users to any unauthorized agency (providing a specific service).
- Further, all the agencies who are unable to adopt this newly introduced concept within the specific time frame will face financial incentives.
UIDAI has now started giving instructions to all concerned agencies regarding the implementation of this virtual ID.
UIDAI Virtual ID Working
The working of this Id is explained as follows: –
- The last digit of the 16 digits in the VID is a checksum that uses the same Verhoeff algorithm as the base number.
- At a particular time, only 1 active and valid VID will exist for any Aadhaar number.
- The Verhoeff algorithm is a checksum formula for error detection that was developed in 1969 by Dutch mathematician Jacobus Verhoef.
- People can use this VID instead of Aadhaar number for authentication or KYC services. Its usage is similar to Aadhaar number.
- Agencies are not allowed to use VIDs for de-duplication.
- The VID is revocable and is replaced with a new one after a specific validity period.
So far, UIDAI has issued around 119 crore Aadhaar cards. central government. This step has been taken after security concerns arose over the use of Aadhaar card. According to the report published in the newspaper, the Aadhaar data of about one billion users was available only in rupees. 500. So, Central Govt. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has decided to plug the system.
UIDAI Aadhaar Virtual ID (16 digit VID) mandatory for KYC for security concerns
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) informs that only the 16-digit virtual ID can be used for the Know Your Customer (KYC) process. Now people will not have to submit their Aadhaar card details including Aadhaar number of 12 digits for authentication purposes. Instead they can only use the Aadhaar Virtual ID which can be easily generated / retrieved at uidai.gov.in. The move will address Aadhaar card security concerns like data breech.
The UIDAI Virtual ID (VID) concept was introduced in the month of April 2018 and is now operational. All Authentication User Agencies (AUAs) have now been migrated to VID and UID tokens. This use of Aadhaar VID will result in database privacy and security of customers as more than 100 crore people are enrolled with UIDAI and have an Aadhaar card.
It is clear in the notification that the Aadhaar Virtual ID (16 digits) has completely replaced the Aadhaar number (12 digits). People can generate / retrieve VIDs in 3 easy steps and use this number for KYC.
What are the 16 digit virtual ID concepts and security features?
In the month of March, there was a security concern regarding the confidentiality of our personal details in the Aadhaar card. As various companies and banks ask for the 12 digit Aadhaar card number for authentication required to provide services to their customers. People present their important personal details such as biometrics, age, fingerprints without knowing that if such data is leaked, it can become a big problem for their privacy.
So to ensure data privacy and security, the central government introduced a new concept of virtual ID in April 2018. It is a 16-digit temporary random number and can be referred to as a “base clone”. Instead of the 12 digit Aadhaar number to complete the verification process, anyone can now provide this 16 digit VID number.
But various banks and companies did not have the necessary system to accept such IDs. Therefore, the Reserve Bank of India has given 3 months time to all such banks and companies to make changes to their system and make it compatible to accept Aadhaar Virtual ID. This time period has now expired and the VID system will be implemented across the country. Aadhaar virtual numbers can be used to open bank accounts, government subsidies, instant passports, purchase new insurance policies, etc.
Benefits of Virtual ID in India
All residents are allowed to generate any number of virtual IDs. Your previous VID will be automatically canceled when a new VID is created. It is an alternative to authentication and KYC services that remain valid for a specific time or till the user changes it.
This virtual ID is similar to the use of an Aadhaar number and agencies cannot use VIDs for de-duplication. This new VID number system will ensure the security and privacy of Aadhaar card holders. So far, UIDAI has issued 119 crore Aadhaar cards across the country which are required to maintain security and confidentiality.